Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes

I am pretty picky about what I feed my kids, especially at breakfast. I like to make sure they start off the day right with something filling and nutritious. My boys, and their daddy, love pancakes. After a little trial and error, I have found a way to pack my pancakes with nutrition, but still keep it quick and simple. The boys enjoy these blueberry pancakes almost every Wednesday morning, but ask for them all week long.

1 cup Bisquick Heart Smart pancake mix
2/3 cup of non fat milk
2 TBS egg substitute
1-2 servings of Motts Healthy Harvest (no sugar added) Blueberry Applesauce
3/4 cup dry oatmeal

In a small bowl, wisk together Bisquick, milk and egg substitute until well mixed. Add applesauce and oats; stir well. Pour batter by slightly less than 1/4 cupfuls onto hot greased griddle. Once edges start to look cooked, flip and cook until golden brown.

These do take a little longer to cook through than regular pancakes and have a softer consistency due to the applesauce.

2 comments:

Cristy said...

Not bad. I used one regular egg (didn't have egg substitute and didn't want to buy it for a trial recipe only needing 2 Tbl). The mix is runny and it splashes a little when flipping so BE CAREFUL.

My picky eater actually liked these. WOW! My non-picky eater did not like these. But, both my kids like to eat oatmeal, so I don't think I'd make these again with the oatmeal. I will definitely try making blueberry pancakes with the blueberry applesauce though, it's SO much cheaper than buying canned or fresh blueberries, and it's always available.

Vanessa said...

The one egg may have been what made it so runny...or if you used 2 servings of applesauce that could have done it as well. Also, if the mix looks a little runny to me I just add more oatmeal. I also let them cook a long time on the first side, then once I flip them it's only a minute or so before they are good to go.

We eat oatmeal all the time! I like adding it to the pancakes to beef up the nutritional content and it makes them more filling/longer lasting. I make all our pancakes with oatmeal (even chocolate chip pancakes for my hubby every weekend!), so we don't know any different :)

You can also try different flavors than just the blueberry. The apple doesn't have a ton of flavor, but if you add some apple chunks and cinnamon, it is good :) Let me know if you do any experimenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails