Sunday, July 19, 2009

Vanilla Cookies

Adapted from: Allrecipes.com
Diabetes is very prevalent in both of our families, so I am always cautious of the amount of sugar my boys have. I have been looking for a low sugar treat for them, and while browsing the cookie aisle at the grocery store, I had the idea to try and make my own vanilla wafers. I found a recipe and then adapted it to contain much less sugar and whole wheat flour. The result is a good little cookie that the boys seem to enjoy. And, if I'm being honest, I have had a few too many of these little yummies myself!

1/2 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
1/2 cup sugar (I used slightly less than 1/2 cup)
1 egg
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown.

These cookies don't really spread much so you can place them pretty close together and if you want them flat, you will need to press them down before you put them in the oven.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails