Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Almond Bars


3 c. Bisquick mix
2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. butter, softened
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 T. almond extract
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 c. almond slivers

Combine Bisquick mix and sugar and then cut in margarine until mixture is crumbly. Add in beaten eggs and extracts; mix until combined. Press mixture into a jell roll pan or 9 x 13 inch pan. Sprinkle almond slivers on top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 to 30 minutes, until lightly golden and a toothpick or knife come out clear in the center. Cut into squares before they cool completely.

The boys LOVE these...so, I tried to health-ify the recipe by cutting more than 1/2 of the sugar, adding 1 cup of applesauce, 2 cups of oatmeal, doubling the extracts and leaving off the almonds. The result was good, more like a crumbly cake than a bar, but tasty :)

2 comments:

Mrs. C said...

I've been known to eat WAY TOO MANY of these on my own. :) It's the Dutch girl in me. We love our almonds.

Vanessa said...

The boys could not get enough of these! I am going to try reducing the sugar and adding oatmeal (because that's what I do :) and maybe applesauce...we'll see if I can come up with something else that they will eat that is semi-healthy for them. Thanks for the recipe girl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails