Sunday, July 18, 2010

Confession...

So, I've been trying my hand at consistent, somewhat creative lunches this entire week.  I took daily photos and everyday when I had time to upload them, some form of embarrassment or insecurity came over me, so I just didn't.  It just so happened that a dear friend of mine placed a post on her blog about the very thing I was dealing with.  The title was 'Inspired or Overwhelmed?'  In the post she laid out her feelings in regards to blogs similar to this (blogs intended to inspire ideas and creativity) and the way that as an observer, it's so easy to take yourself from being inspired to feeling like what you're doing is not good enough in any given aspect of life.

As I mentioned before, I wanted to add the creative lunch element to this blog after being inspired by others and really thinking I could easily do the same thing.  However, once I began, I started to second guess myself, my meals, my creativity, etc.  As I snapped pictures and thought of placing them up for the world to see, I began to question what I was feeding my kids.  This may be a good thing (as in motivating me to add more healthy choices) and it may just be my insecurities of having the world judge what is on the plate and in the tummies of my 2 year olds.  

I began to wonder if it was ok that my kids eat the same basic food repeatedly and if I should continue to give in when they continually request the same item day in and day out.  And, I began to question the level of 'professionalism' in the photos...were the plates clean of water spots and when I slid the bananas into place they left smudges...can I really post it? I began to feel insecure that what I had to present was not perfect.

Not perfect...that's really what it comes down to.  I started this recipe blog originally for all of us moms who are not perfect.  I snapped photos of food I had made sitting on paper plates rather than perfectly staged with the right background and perfect lighting.  So, I have decided that is what I am going to continue to do.  This blog is all about not being perfect. 

There are days when my pantry is lacking vegetable options...and that's ok!  There are days where we run late at the grocery store and get home an hour past lunch time as I scrounge to make a meal in record time for 2 hungry toddlers.  It's barely creative...and that's ok!

So without shame, I lay out what we ate this week with no long explanations or excuses.
  • Cucumber & carrot slices
  • Strwaberrys
  • Bisquick garlic cheese biscuit (the recipe is on the box, but not on this blog...it was not a family favorite :)
  • Dinosaur chicken

By the way...I found the divided plates at our local grocery store this week for $1!!  I only got 4 and they are out now :(  I'm hoping some more come in soon because they are great!

1 comment:

Cristy said...

I think one of the things I love most about your blog is that it's practical. It's not perfect. I'm a regular mom with 4 kids and I just don't have the time to be perfect. And at this time in my life, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have a picky eater. All this boy wants to eat is peanut butter and (strawberry) jelly. He will eat this every single day. I spice it up by making it on crackers or adding a little honey or cutting the sandwich into neat little shapes. It's okay. It's normal. It's what he will eat.

Thank you for allowing yourself to be "not perfect" in front of everyone. Thank you for showing everyone that banana smudges are just fine. (And anyone who thinks otherwise mustn't have young children.) Thank you for showing us regular moms that feeding kids that want the same thing day in and day out can still make repetition fun.

Keep up the good work! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails