Thursday, April 1, 2010

No Sugar Added Cookies


3/4 cup butter
2 ripe bananas
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cream the butter or margarine until light and fluffy. Add the bananas and mix well. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.


Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon. Add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the oats and the chopped nuts. Cover and chill dough for 1 hour.


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.


Drop chilled teaspoon-sized rounds of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet (they don't really expand much, so you can place them close together). Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes.

I tried these cookies because I had some extra bananas I needed to use. After mixing the dough, it tasted terrible and I was VERY skeptical. However, after chilling in the fridge, the dough was much better and the end result was surprisingly good for containing no white or brown sugar. Because I was scared of how they would be, I added some chocolate chips. While they were good, they weren't necessarily needed.

1 comment:

Cristy said...

I was lucky enough to be recipient to these cookies. They were tasty, but my kiddos enjoyed them much more than I did. They were very sweet considering "no sugar", but not too sweet as in I couldn't eat them. All of my kids, even the picky eater, liked these. I'll refer back to this recipe again since all I do with bananas is make banana bread or smoothies. This is another good choice.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails